Friday, February 5, 2010
Golden Boy Promotions doing major ‘spin control’ on the Mosley vs. Mayweather fight
Floyd Mayweather and Shane Mosley have both signed on the dotted line and will meet on May 1st in Las Vegas.
It was less than 48 hours ago when Golden Boy Promotions had serious concern over whether or not the fight between Mayweather and Mosley would even happen. Richard Schaefer, CEO of GBP, went on a public tirade about the fight not being finalized, missed opportunities for PR, serious concerns, and having no idea why Floyd Mayweather Jr hadn’t already signed the contract.
Fast forward 24 hours and Schaefer has completely forgotten all about the serious concern and frustrations he publicly aired. In fact, he and the rest of GBP are now pretending like it didn’t happen and thus the “spinning” has begun. Let’s take a look at some of Schaefer’s quotes over the last 48 hours and see through his own words how GBP is already “spinning” this fight.
February 2nd – source for the following quotes: Dan Rafael of ESPN.com
* "At this point, I don't know," he said. "We want to do some big PR, so this is frustrating. I read Leonard's quotes that it was agreed to and that it was just a matter of time to get it signed, but if it's all done, why isn't it signed?" ..
* "It will only be done when Floyd signs, and that hasn't happened yet. I don't know of any deal terms that are not agreed to. I don't understand it."
February 3rd - source of the following quotes: David Mayo of The Grand Rapids Press
* "We know each other well, we respect each other, and that is a great start for any negotiation”
* “In a way, the promotion for Mayweather and Mosley started right in the ring after Mayweather's victory against Juan Manuel Marquez, when Shane Mosley grabbed the microphone and started things going,”
* "With these megafights, they sort of have dynamics of their own in place. Sometimes, they fall apart. And sometimes, they come together unexpectedly.”
* "It's certainly one of the most anticipated fights of this generation,”
Like Bill O’Reilly always says, this is the “No SPIN Zone”. Stan Richardson Sacramento, CA “Did GBP just completely forget that they were crying all day Tuesday over the unsigned fight?” Yes Stan, they did. In fact, Schaefer is acting like he wasn’t bitching to Dan Rafael about Floyd not signing just the day before. It’s hilarious how GBP is “Spinning” this around. We are seeing some major spinning that would make the Democrats and Republicans proud.
It’s like Schaefer miraculously understands the complexity of contracts all of a sudden; Yet the day before, he was crying that he “just doesn’t understand it”. Andy Wallace Sacramento, CA “Hey Rick, is Schaefer bi-polar?” Andy, I’m not sure. Perhaps we can get him to sign a release of medical records and then we can find out. However, I can tell you this; if this extreme 24 hour turn-around is any indication of things to come then we are in for a long 3 months of major hype and monumental spinning.
Author: Rick Rockwell